Forget that bottled store bought BBQ sauce full of high fructose corn syrup and goodness knows what else, and indulge instead in this fruity naturally sweetened fresh peach bbq sauce. It offers a sweetness from fresh peaches, a bright tang of apple cider vinegar and a smokiness from smoked paprika. Use it on wings, with some shredded chicken or slather it on your next batch of grilled or slow cooked ribs.
Naturally Sweetened Fresh Peach BBQ Sauce
This Naturally Sweetened Fresh Peach BBQ Sauce is a delicious alternative to store-bought options.
A homemade sauce that is the perfect match for all of your favorite summer foods....and then some.
Homemade peach BBQ sauce has the perfect level of sweetness from the use of fresh peaches and is balanced perfectly with the bright and tangy flavor of apple cider to make the perfect BBQ sauce.
What Ingredients Are Needed For This Fresh Peach BBQ Sauce?
Don't worry, we are only going to use simple pantry staples to make this Fresh Peach BBQ Sauce!
You will need:
- extra virgin olive oil,
- brown onion,
- garlic: fresh garlic is best, however in a pinch, you can sub this out and use some dried ground garlic or pre-prepared garlic paste. Just keep in mind the pre-prepared jars of garlic usually tend to have some vinegar added to help with preserving, so you may need to adjust the amount of apple cider vinegar you add.
- ginger: freshly grated ginger is best. Use a small spoon to peel off the skin of the ginger before grating. If you do not have access to fresh ginger, you can always sub in some dried ground ginger or pre-prepared jarred ginger.
- fresh yellow peaches: fresh ripe peaches work best here. In a pinch, you can always use canned peaches, although be sure to rinse off the sugar syrup or your bbq sauce will end up too sweet. Alternatively, thawed frozen peaches can be used.
- apple cider vinegar: this can be found in the same section where other vinegar can be found. If you do not have it, you can use regular vinegar, however, you may need to add a touch of sugar or natural sweetener to balance the flavors.
- tomato paste: check the ingredient list.
- lemon juice: fresh lemon juice is preferred. Alternatively, you can use pre-prepared lemon juice.
- dijon mustard,
- smoked paprika: make sure it is smoked, the smoky flavor really lends itself well to the fresh peaches.
Tips for Making the Perfect Fresh Peach BBQ Sauce: Storage and Freezing
- It’s important that you store your sauce in an airtight container in the fridge. This will allow it to keep for much longer. It should keep up to two weeks in the fridge if stored properly.
- If you would like to keep your peach BBQ Sauce for longer than two weeks, you can easily freeze it. I suggest placing the excess, or what you plan to freeze, in mason jars and simply remove it from the freezer the night before you plan on using it.
I always make a double batch and freeze some in mason jars for use throughout the year. Just pull it out the day before you plan to use it, and hey presto, you have some delicious peach bbq sauce to liven up any meal.
What Makes Homemade BBQ Sauce Better Than Store Bought?
The best part about this sauce is that you control the ingredients.
The ingredients we have used in this version make it a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and Iron.
Plus you can pass on all the high-fructose corn syrup and preservatives used in the store-bought versions.
Due to all the fresh, clean ingredients, this BBQ sauce is:
- refined sugar-free,
- and vegetarian.
How To Serve Peach BBQ Sauce
Due to the bright flavors of the peaches and lemons used in this homemade bbq sauce, it really lends itself well to bright summary flavors.
Use your imagination and use this peach barbecue sauce anywhere you would normally use a store-bought barbecue sauce.
Try out these ideas:
- on wings;
- stirred through some shredded chicken;
- slathered on some grilled tofu;
- basted on some ribs before grilling;
- as a bright and zesty addition to an egg and bacon roll;
- it can even be watered down and used as a dressing in a southwestern-style salad.
- On Light BBQ Chicken Pasta from The Healthy Home Cook;
- In 5 Ingredient Beef Tortilla Pie from My Sequined Life;
- On BBQ Chicken Tostadas from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Homemade Peach BBQ Sauce is super easy to make and is even family-friendly.
The kids will love it, guaranteed.
It’s full of fresh ingredients which makes it a much better option than the store-bought versions most of us are used to.
Naturally Sweetened Fresh Peach BBQ Sauce
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and peaches and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, lemon juice, paprika, mustard, salt and pepper. Give everything a good stir until it is relatively smooth. Simmer for around 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender or a high powered blender, blend until smooth.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Be sure to join me over on Instagram for some tips, tricks, and behind the scenes.
If you enjoyed this recipe, try these other summer-perfect recipes!