This Healthy Pumpkin bread recipe is refined-sugar free, sweetened with maple syrup, and chopped apple. It is a super moist cake-like bread that pairs exceptionally well with a dab of butter, especially if the bread is served hot straight from the oven. Top with some granola for a great crunchy texture that takes this bread to the next level.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Healthy Pumpkin Bread with Apple and Granola
If you just want the recipe, then feel free to click on the 'Jump To Recipe' button above. If you want some tips, tricks and serving suggestions for the recipe, you will find them in the post below. I try to include only useful information.
This pumpkin bread recipe is a great all rounder.
It is super simple to make, simply requiring you to mix all of the ingredients together, pop them into a loaf tin, top with some granola and then into the oven for about 50 mins.
The perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or it can be enjoyed as a nice breakfast treat or afternoon pick-me-up.
It stores well and doesn't require any fancy ingredients.
In fact, it is a great recipe for using up the leftovers in a can of pumpkin or the dregs of a bag of granola. Just make up the difference with some mashed banana for any missing pumpkin and some chopped nuts for any missing amount of granola.
I usually make two loaves at a time and store one in the freezer for another week.
Is Pumpkin Bread Healthy?
Whilst it isn't necessarily healthy per se, this version of pumpkin bread is made a little differently from the traditional version, which makes it healthier as opposed to healthy:
- We have swapped white flour for whole wheat flour;
- We use unsweetened pumpkin puree (to make it even healthier you can make your own pumpkin puree so you know exactly what is in there);
- There is no oil added;
- For sweetener, we use maple syrup and chopped apple instead of refined sugar;
- I also opt for homemade granola, like this Pumpkin Spice Granola, so that I know exactly what ingredients are included.
What Is The Best Way To Store Pumpkin Apple Bread
On the counter or in the fridge
Pumpkin apple bread is best stored in an airtight container or wrapped in cling wrap or beeswax wraps to keep it moist.
It is best to keep it on the counter at room temperature.
It can stay out for 1-2 days.
If you can't eat it quickly enough it can be stored in the fridge, where it will last about a week.
Storing it in the fridge may cause it to dry a little bit. If this happens, pop a slice in toaster and toast until warm. Then add a nice dab of butter and spread it on the bread.
Pumpkin bread is also great for freezing.
Simply slice the bread into individual slices, place on a baking tray, making sure that the pieces are not touching, and then pop into the freezer.
Once completely frozen, take the slices of bread from the baking tray and store them in a ziploc bag or freezer-friendly container and put back into the freezer until required.
It should last for approximately 2-3 months in the freezer if stored properly.
To thaw it, let the pumpkin apple bread sit on the counter for several hours.
If you need to speed the process up, you can unwrap the plastic and wrap the bread in foil. Put the foil-wrapped bread in a 250° oven for 20-30 minutes before serving.
How To Serve Healthy Pumpkin Bread
I like to serve my pumpkin apple bread toasted with a dab of butter.
You could also serve it in one of the following ways:
- with some ricotta cheese;
- with cream cheese;
- with jam;
- with a drizzle of honey or some maple syrup.
My kids love this bread spread with a thin layer of cream cheese and made into a sandwich by placing another piece of bread on top. We then slice it into thick fingers for their lunch box.
It always goes down a treat.
What Else Can I Make With Pumpkin Puree?
I love using pumpkin puree in baking.
It keeps bread and cakes super moist and has a super subtle flavor, which makes it really versatile.
Try out these recipes featuring pumpkin puree next:
- Thick and Creamy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
- Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Pumpkin and Goat's Cheese Risotto
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
- Baked Chia Pumpkin Pie Donuts
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Bars from Food Faith and Fitness
If you have a favorite recipe for using pumpkin puree be sure to leave a note in the comments so we can share it with our readers.
Healthy Pumpkin Bread with Apple and Granola
- Loaf Tin
- Preheat oven to 325F (165C). Grease your loaf tin with some coconut oil and set aside for later.
- Whisk together the flour, pumpkin spice, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Mix in the eggs, pumpkin puree, melted butter and maple syrup until well combined. Gently fold in the chopped apple.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. Use a spatula to flatten the top. Sprinkle on the granola and bake for about 50-55 mins, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.