Honey Ginger and Garlic Pork Meatballs are sticky little balls of flavor the whole family will love. Baked, not fried, and they even make their own super sticky sauce right there when they are baking – perfect for pouring over some noodles when serving up.
What is it with kids and meatballs? If I were the betting kind, I could place money on it that if I asked my kids what they wanted for dinner they would reply with ‘pizza or meatballs’ every.single.time. And I can literally count the times they have had meatballs on two hands, but it’s still up there.
I picked up some nice pork from the farmers market the other day, and decided to finally give in and make them up a little batch of honey and garlic pork meatballs. Half for them this weekend as mama is not going to be home (woohoo – more on that below), and half for the freezer for when the next inevitable request comes along. For tips on freezing, make sure you check out the notes section.
These Honey Ginger and Garlic Pork Meatballs are baked, not fried, and the sauce they are baked in makes a great sauce for pouring over some noodles and veg when you are ready to serve up.
Now I know you are just dying to hear about why I won’t be home this weekend 😛 I will be heading to the International Food Blogger’s Conference, and am so so excited to be doing something just for me for a change. It is going to be jam-packed!
I will be sampling local food, partaking in a farm-to-fork tour through the historic Sacramento delta, learning lots and lots about the whole farm-to-fork movement Sacramento is so well-known for, and hopefully meeting some lovely fellow bloggers while I am at it. Sounds fun, right? Make sure you are following me on Instagram so you can get a glimpse of some of the fun (and food, of course) along the way.
I was so adamant I was going to let them fend for themselves while I am away (the husband, not the kids – they are only 2 and 3 after all). But all the talk of pizza, burgers and ice-cream stuffed doughnuts (???) the hubby keeps telling me he will be subjecting the kids to (I am pretty sure he is winding me up, but you never know…) made me cave and make them at least one nutritious meal. That was probably his plan all along 😕
Looking for more quick and delicious weeknight meals? Check out these lovelies:
- Baked Turkey Meatballs with Ricotta
- Quick Vietnamese Pork and Riced Broccoli Bowl
- Pork and Vegetable San Choy Bow
- Crock Pot Korean Style Meatballs from Chase Studio
Are your little ones meatball crazy as well? I would love to hear from you if you try them out, so be sure to pop back and leave a comment.
Honey Ginger and Garlic Pork Meatballs
For The Meatballs
- 600 g Pork mince
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp ginger finely grated
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- soba noodles, black sesame seeds and chopped green onions to serve
For The Sauce
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Pop the pork, breadcrumbs, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, sesame oil, green onion, egg, and salt and pepper into a large bowl and mix well to combine
- Place a large deep-sided roasting tray (like the kind you would bake a roast in) in the oven for 5 minutes or until very hot
- Using a tablespoon, roll the pork mixture into balls and set aside. Once the roasting tin is hot, pour in the avocado oil, and add the meatballs. Pop into the preheated oven and cook for 5 minutes
- For the sauce, place the soy tamari, mirin, sesame oil, vinegar and honey into a small bowl and mix to combine
- Remove the meatball tray from the oven. Pour the honey mixture over the meatballs and toss carefully to coat. Pop back into the oven for 15 mins
- Serve the meatballs with the noodles and a sprinkle of black sesame seeds and green onions