Quick and easy One Pan Creamy Garlic Chicken with Potatoes is taken from plain to phenomenal with brown butter caramelized chicken breasts (or thighs if that’s your preference) and charred potatoes. It is the quintessential hearty one skillet winter meal which makes the perfect cold weather comfort food for the whole family.
I don’t know if it has been colder than usual this winter, or if I am just getting
wussier less tolerant of the cold as I get older, but I have been struggling with this weather (it also doesn’t help that none of my winter jackets fit over my gigantic baby belly!). I have been craving all the comfort food I can get my hands on lately, and this skillet of creamy garlic chicken and potatoes served up with a big side of steamed veggies can definitely warm up the coldest of days.
The classic combination of chicken, potatoes, and fresh herbs makes for a hearty, wholesome meal the whole family can enjoy. But we have lightened it up by swapping out the traditional heavy cream for some whole milk and kicked it up a notch by caramelizing the chicken in a brown butter sauce. What you get is an AH-mazing combination that is light yet hearty, rich, smooth and delicious. Yum! I am getting all drooley just thinking about it 😛
Tip: If you have any leftovers then you can turn it into a creamy garlic chicken pasta by loosening up the sauce with some chicken stock and stirring it through some freshly cooked pasta.
I hope you love this lightened up family favorite as much as we did. I love hearing from you, so be sure to pop back and leave a comment if you give it a try.
One Pan Creamy Garlic Chicken with Potatoes and Garden Herbs
- 2 tbsp Green Valley Organics butter
- 4 chicken breasts (or about 6 chicken thighs) pounded to be of equal thickness
- 1 cup thinly sliced potatoes (I used sierra red. Make sure you cut them thinly or they will not cook quickly enough)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup whole milk (sub in heavy cream if you want something more indulgent)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large pan or skillet. When it is slightly brown and has a nutty smell, add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the sliced potatoes, garlic, herbs and spices to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes. Flip and cook for a further 3 minutes until the potatoes are browning on the edges.
- Add the whole milk or cream and cook, stirring every so often, for another 5 minutes. The sauce should be hot and slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pop the chicken back into the pan and turn to ensure it is evenly coated in the cream sauce. Garnish with more fresh herbs and serve hot with a side of steamed vegetables (I served with carrots and broccoli).
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these: