Smashed Oregano Lemon Garlic Potatoes with Feta make the perfect addition to your family table. Perfectly cooked potatoes, fluffy on the inside and crispy on the edges, they are doused in butter, plenty of garlic and fresh oregano. A sprinkle of feta and a squeeze of lemon before serving, and you have the perfect Greek Style Potatoes for an amazing side you won’t forget any time soon.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Smashed Oregano Lemon Garlic Potatoes with Feta
I am perhaps a little bit obsessed with smashed potatoes these days.
Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside….and all that garlic. Potato heaven!!
If you haven’t tried them yet then you should go on ahead and give them a try now. I promise, although they take longer than a regular ol’ roast potato, you will be making them again and again.
What Makes Smashed Potatoes Different From Normal Roast Potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are basically the perfect combination of mashed potatoes and roast potatoes all in one dish!!
Although they are easy, they aren’t the quickest potato option around. There are a few steps involved, but once you try it once I guarantee it’s going to become your new favourite way to eat potatoes, even if only on the weekend when you have a wee bit more time up your sleeve.
To make the most perfect potatoes:
- first we boil them until fork tender,
- smash them,
- smother them in a delicious smashed garlic and oil mixture,
- then we bake them,
- and then we douse them in melted butter and oregano
- sprinkle with feta and a squeeze of lemon and you have the most amazing potato side you can imagine.
I don’t blame you.
What Ingredients Are Needed For Lemon Garlic Potatoes?
Don’t worry, nothing fancy needed here. You more than likely have it in the fridge or pantry, and if not it can be found in a regular grocery store, no need to traipse all over town looking for speciality items.
So go on ahead and grab some:
- olive oil (use the good stuff, you can taste the difference)
- chopped fresh oregano
- crumbled feta (you want the soft one, not the hard one)
- fresh lemon wedges
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
That’s it! Told you it was all simple stuff.
Storage Suggestions For Perfect Greek Style Potatoes Any Time
These potatoes are best served fresh, and really I very rarely have any leftovers…because I eat them all.
However if you find yourself with some leftovers they can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply bake them in the oven at 425 until warmed through.
Alternatively, you can use an air fryer to make them super crispy in no time at all. I use the chip/fries setting and cook for around 10-15 minutes (this is my favourite way to reheat potatoes as it makes them extra crispy.)
If you need an air fryer, I love this one:
What To Serve Up With Garlic Lemon Potatoes For A Whole Meal?
Want to serve up a whole meal? Check these out:
- Homemade Oven Roasted Rotisserie-Style Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Roasted Parsnip Puree
- Hasselback Sage and Parmesan Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Pepper Skillet Green Beans
- Sumac Roasted Carrots with Walnuts
- And top it all off with a Honey and Chai Spiced Warm Apple Crostata
I don’t know about you, but I am super hungry after thinking up that delicious sounding meal above! Go forth and eat.
Easy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary
- 3 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 2 lbs medium sized potatoes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and smashed/minced
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tsp fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta to serve
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 450F (235C)
- Pop the potatoes in a large pot and fill with cold water. With the heat of the stovetop being med-high bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the potatoes until they are just fork tender.
- Remove from the heat, strain and allow the potatoes to cool slightly.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet. Use a fork or a potato masher to smash the potatoes. Go gently, you want them to be smashed but still in one piece.
- Drizzle the rest of the olive oil over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast the potatoes for 15 mins. Take the potatoes out of the oven and sprinkle with the fresh garlic. Pop back into the oven for another 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- While the potatoes are roasting melt the butter. Once melted, stir the oregano into the butter.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven when they are ready. Drizzle the butter and oregano mixture over the potatoes, sprinkle with the crumbled feta and squeeze a bit of lemon over everything and serve.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these:
- How to use up lots of oregano: Oregano Pesto
- Easy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic Butter and Rosemary
- Quick and Easy Quinoa Salad
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3