It’s not a Christmas dinner without some potatoes! Holiday side dishes are the most important part of the meal if you ask me, and without some Christmas potatoes your Holiday table will not be complete. Get some ideas for great potato side dishes here to wow your family and friends. Ideas for using up leftover potatoes as well.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Why Christmas Potatoes?
If you are here chances are you LOVE potatoes.
And I am talking love love.
I spend a long time deciding what potato recipes I am going to be making for Christmas dinner. More time than I spend on any other element of Christmas dinner preparation.
There will always be at least 3 potato options on our Holiday table. And when I say at least, I mean at least….there usually tends to end up being 5 options. I mean you can see why:
- There has to be a mashed potato. I mean is it even a Holiday dinner if there is no mash option? You pair it with the gravy and some peas and it is pretty much potato heaven.
- There has to be a roast potato option. You need the crispiness. Once again, not Christmas if there isn’t a roasted potato on that table.
- I am quite partial to a cheesey au gratin, and I really only ever make it once a year so that one has to be there too.
- Salted baby potatoes are delicious….just sayin’.
- And then I always end up coming across some other random recipe in the Christmas mags and I just have to.
So easy to make ALL the Christmas dinner potatoes.
What About The Leftovers?
Don’t even get me started on talking about leftover potatoes.
They are my FAVORITE!
Reheated leftover mashed potato is hands down the best cure for a post-Holiday mini hangover if you go too hard the night before. It’s also delicious if you don’t have a hangover.
I also use leftover mash to make some bread rolls and Irish potato farls and then freeze them for later if they don’t all get eaten asap. They are perfect for making tater tots as well, which freeze really well and are always a hit with the kids!
Are Christmas Potatoes Only For Christmas?
When I say Christmas potatoes I don’t actually mean potatoes you can only eat on Christmas day. I mean potatoes that give you that sense of excitement you get on Christmas day.
Potatoes that are for a special occasion such as Thanksgiving, Easter or a family event.
One that you wouldn’t necessarily spend the time on during a busy week, that you reserve for special times.
You get me?
So settle in. I have 33 amazing Easy Potato Side Dishes From Scratch (aka Christmas Potatoes) to get your creative juices flowing and to get you in the spirit.