This 6 Ingredient Simple Celery Soup is a great vegetarian soup that is just perfect for using up abundant amounts of celery. With an ingredient listing of beautiful simple ingredients, you will no doubt have on hand, it is perfect as a quick midweek dinner.
6 Ingredient Simple Celery Soup
This homemade celery soup is quite supremely satisfying.
Whilst it is a creamy soup, we only pop a little bit of cream in there, so it doesn't deliver too much in the way of calories or fat in each serving if that is something that concerns you.
We make it smooth so it is just perfect for drinking from a mug, which the kids seem to love.
Only 6 Ingredients In Homemade Celery Soup?
Yep, you read that right.
All you need for some delicious homemade celery soup is:
- butter (I use salted butter as that is usually what I have on hand)
- red onion
- vegetable stock (you can always make your own vegetable broth)
- all-purpose whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour, you could also sub in regular flour or gluten-free flour if you prefer)
- heavy cream
Cook it, blend it, add in some cream and you are good to go.
Meal Prepping And Storage Suggestions
As this celery soup is so simple, it is just perfect for meal prepping or batch cooking.
Homemade celery soup can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days if stored in an airtight container.
Simply reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave when it comes time to serve.
This soup is also perfect for making ahead and freezing.
Simply allow the soup to cool completely, transfer to your freezer-friendly container of choice and store in the freezer for about 3 months.
To serve, simply remove from the freezer and allow to thaw before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
How To Serve Celery Soup
What do we need to go along with some hot, fresh, homemade celery soup?
Homemade bread of course!
Soup is just not the same if you don't have some soft and fluffy bread for dipping.
Check out these 40 minute Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls.
What To Do With Lots of Celery
If you got a good deal or lots of celery showed up in your CSA box this week, you may need some more ideas on what to use it for after using it in this simple celery soup.
Well, after you have made up a big batch of Celery Soup (make some extra and store it in the freezer in individual mason jars for when you need a soup fix during the week) you can try out these ideas:
- Super Green Celery Smoothie
- Make some Celery Juice
- Try Celery Lentil Salad from My Kitchen Love;
- OR try something totally different with this Shrimp Creole from New South Charm which uses 3 stalks of celery!
How do YOU use up lots of celery?
I love hearing from you so be sure to leave a comment and let us know your favorite celery recipes so we can use more of this underrated veggie!
6 Ingredient Simple Celery Soup
- 4 tbsp salted butter, divided
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan over med-low heat and melt 2 tablespoon of the butter. Once melted add in the celery and onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Pour the celery mixture into a high powered blender, along with 1 cup of the vegetable stock and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan, add in the flour and whisk until paste forms. Cook the flour paste for about a minute.
- Add the celery mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Then slowly add the rest of the stock.
- Turn the heat up to med-high and cook until the soup begins to bubble. Once bubbling, reduce the heat to low, add in the heavy cream and give it all a good stir. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Don’t forget to follow Whole Food Bellies on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration! Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post! Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
- The Perfect Slow Cooker Ratatouille Recipe
- 4 Ingredient Teriyaki Salmon
- Oven Roasted Chicken In Immunity Boosting Broth
- Glowing Carrot and Pumpkin Soup
This post was updated from the original post dated April 2018 to provide more information for the reader.
Making this soup tonight. I have a lot of celery to use up! Thank you for the simple recipe. I’m going to use a dairy free cream to make it vegan. I will Use whatever is left to make a fresh juice...probably with beets and apples🙂
That juice sounds amazing!!
I love creamy soups. Celery is such a fresh flavor and perfect for springtime! Have you tried it chilled?. I bet it would be delish!
Good idea!! I never think to serve soups chilled, but it would be such a great thing to do in warmer months!
This soup would be a fantastic first course with grilled dishes!
yum! this look so creamy! and I can't believe it's only 6 ingredients! looks great 🙂
I LOVE celery. Such an underrated vegetable. Thanks for a great recipe!
Awesome. Thanks so much. !!
Looks amazing. Any success in Freezing extra ?
Yes! I froze a batch and hubby took some for lunch last week and tells me it tasted just the same 🙂
Awesome. Thanks so much!!