These vegan sausage rolls combine a mixture of eggplant, cannellini beans, garlic, onions, and parsley. They are able to be made ahead of time and enjoyed either hot or cold. Great for lunch boxes or paired with a salad for a nice homemade lunch at home. Freezer-friendly to boot.
Eggplant and Bean Vegan Sausage Rolls
These homemade vegetarian sausage rolls have become such a favorite in our house lately, and they are so easy to make, I am always happy to oblige a request with a big batch.
You will need:
- Puff pastry (check the ingredients if you are vegan)
- Eggplant (or aubergine)
- Cannellini beans
- Red chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Olive oil
Vegan sausage rolls are great as party food, finger food, appetizers or something completely different for lunch boxes.
They can be enjoyed hot or cold and are perfect for making ahead of time if you like to be prepared.
How To Make These Veggie Sausage Rolls
These are super easy to make.
Tip: try and cut the eggplant into evenly sized pieces so that they all cook at the same time.
Simply roast the eggplant and then add it along with all of the other ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth but not runny.
Cut your puff pastry sheet in half and scoop the bean mixture onto the sheet longwise. I usually use about 3-4 large spoonfuls.
Roll them up, brush with some olive oil, or egg wash if you aren't vegan and want a little more crispiness, sprinkle on some sesame seeds, and pop them into the oven on a baking tray for 25-30 minutes.
Serve with your sauce of choice (we are partial to tomato ketchup), and you are good to go.
Can these Sausage Rolls Be Made In The Airfryer?
Yes, they sure can, and it actually speeds up the process so much.
They are perfectly cooked in the air fryer after only 10 minutes, and as a result, this has now become my favorite way of cooking them, especially in the summer when I don't want to warm up the house.
Simply layer them in the air fryer basket and cook at 180c (350F) for 10 minutes.
An air fryer is also a great option for reheating the sausage rolls if you prefer to enjoy them warm.
Just pop the veggie sausage roll into the air fryer and cook at 180C for about 2 minutes to reheat and crisp up.
Can Homemade Sausage Rolls Be Frozen
After your vegan sausage rolls have cooked, allow them to completely cool on a cooling rack.
To freeze, arrange the food in a single layer on a baking sheet small enough to fit into the freezer. Pop into the freezer. Remove when frozen and transfer to a freezer-friendly container or Ziploc bag and pop back into the freezer until ready to use.
To thaw, pull out of the freezer and allow to thaw in the freezer overnight. They can be reheated in the microwave or air fryer.
These are perfect for eating on their own paired with some tomato ketchup or a nice side salad.
Eggplant and Bean Vegan Sausage Rolls
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 medium onion chopped into chunks
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon nut milk (if not vegan then use a lightly beaten egg instead for more crispiness) see notes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350F)
- Wash the eggplant and cut into small evenly sized cubes (about 1 inch). Place onto a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Pop the beans, garlic, onion, parsley and chilli flakes into a food processor. Pulse until chopped well. You may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula to be sure everything is incorporated.
- Add in the cooked eggplant and pulse until mostly smooth but a little bit chunky. You do not want it to be runny. Add in some salt and pepper.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet in half, so that you have 4 sheets in total. Scoop the bean mixture onto the puff pastry sheet lengthwise, I usually use about 3-4 spoonfuls.
- Roll the sheets up so that the mixture is contained inside. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll into 4 pieces, poke 2 small holes into the top of the roll, brush some milk on top (or lightly beaten egg if not vegan) and then sprinkle on some sesame seeds.
- Pop the rolls onto a baking sheet and into the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the sausage rolls are golden and the pastry is crispy.
- To store and/or freeze see the notes below.
In The Air Fryer
- To cook in the air fryer, follow all of the instructions but cook in the air fryer at 180C (350F) for 10 minutes instead.
Need Some More Finger Food?
Check out these recipes:
- Air Fryer Paleo Meatloaf Sliders
- Cheddar Cheese and Caramelized Onion Puff Pastry Appetizer
- Baked Zucchini Feta and Quinoa Bites
- Honeyed Ricotta and Asparagus Wrapped In Puff Pastry
- Blue Cheese Crostini With Roasted Grapes
- Mini Brie Bites With Onion Jam
- Puff Pastry Twists with Prosciutto and Parmesan
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.