Chicken breasts are marinated and then cooked in a delectable sauce of turmeric, honey, fish sauce, oyster sauce, cilantro, and garlic in a packet made from parchment paper. Cooking chicken in this way ensures they are cooked perfectly and keep all their juices locked in. Serve this baked chicken with some brown rice and steamed veggies for a great weeknight dinner that can be prepped in advance.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Turmeric and Honey Parchment Baked Chicken
I am not going to lie, the marinade for these chicken breasts does come across as a little odd when you are whipping it up.
But I guarantee once those flavors come together you will understand what I am doing here.
You will need:
- chicken breasts
- minced garlic
- oyster sauce
- fish sauce
- white pepper
- chopped cilantro stems
- ground turmeric
- raw honey
You will need to add all of the ingredients for the marinade together and let the chicken breasts sit in it for at least an hour, preferably overnight.
Tip: try and let the chicken marinate overnight, the flavor will be so much better.
How To Assemble These Baked Chicken Breasts
If you aren't used to cooking chicken breasts in a parchment paper package then things might be a little fiddly the first time, but trust me, it isn't all that hard.
You basically just want to lay the breasts down onto the paper, turn up the edges, pour on the marinade, and then wrap everything up into a tight little bundle.
Make sure the sauce cannot leak out.
You want it to be tight to catch steam in there, which helps the chicken retain moisture, and also allows for the sauce to be created from a combination of the chicken juices and the marinade.
Why Parchment Paper Cooking For Baked Chicken?
I am a huge fan of chicken dishes that can be chucked into the oven and left to their devices (i.e. my Garlic Butter Chicken Bake).
I am not a huge fan of chicken thighs....which means I have to manipulate my recipes to ensure my chicken breasts stay moist (I know, I know, but sometimes you have to use it) and delicious, but can still be cooked in the oven.
Cooking a chicken breast in a little package made out of some parchment paper is the perfect way to do this.
It basically steams the chicken in the package and makes for perfectly cooked chicken breasts every time.
Give it a go, and you will see what I am talking about.
Keep The Turmeric Chicken Sauce
The best thing about this baked chicken recipe is that it is self-saucing.
The marinade we add combines with the chicken juices whilst cooking, and makes for a delicious sauce for pouring over the chicken and sides when serving.
All those coriander/cilantro stems we add to the marinade turn almost jammy after being steamed with the chicken, adding an extra layer of sweetness to the dish.
What To Serve With Parchment Baked Chicken?
As the flavor of these baked chicken breasts is pretty powerful, you can keep the sides pretty simple.
Tip: make sure you save the sauce from the packet after removing the chicken and slicing it up. This is great for pouring over the chicken slices and the rice for some extra flavor.
I like to serve my turmeric baked chicken with:
- a sprinkle of fresh coriander/cilantro
- some fresh chilli slices of chilli flakes
- some brown or white rice
- some plain steamed veggies (carrots, broccoli, green beans)
Have you ever tried parchment baking? Are you as hooked as I am? If you haven't, then you absolutely must try this Turmeric and Honey Parchment Baked Chicken, and let me know how you go. Happy eating 🙂
Need More Chicken Recipes?
Chicken is always a great option for weeknight cooking.
Check out these recipes:
- One-Skillet Pomegranate Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- One Pan Lemon Parmesan Chicken with Garlic Butter Veggies
- One-Pot Oven Roasted Chicken In Immune-Boosting Soup
- Oven Roasted Middle Eastern Chicken Breasts
- Crusted Sage and Macadamia Nut Chicken Breasts
- Insanely Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole Bake
- One Pan Creamy Garlic Chicken With Potatoes and Garlic Herbs
Turmeric and Honey Parchment Baked Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander stems
- 1 ½ tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tbsp ground turmeric
- chili flakes to serve (optional)
- cilantro leaves to serve
- Combine garlic, honey, cilantro, fish sauce, oyster sauce, white pepper, and ground turmeric in a bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Add chicken to the mixture, and coat thoroughly in the marinade. Pop into the fridge and allow to sit for at least an hour, preferably overnight.
- Once the chicken has marinated, preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Line a tray with baking paper/parchment paper, place the chicken on the parchment paper, fold up the sides of the parchment paper so that when you add the sauce it will not escape. Scrape all of the marinade on top of the chicken and fold the parchment into a tight little package around the chicken. Make sure there are no gaps for the sauce to escape.
- Put the chicken into the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. It should be a nice golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and allow to rest for 3 minutes. Once rested, open the parchment package, being mindful of any escaping steam. RcuRemove the chicken breasts from the packet and cut into even slices.
- Once sliced, pour the remainder of the sauce from the packet onto the chicken. Serve with brown rice and steamed vegetables with a sprinkling of cilantro and chili flakes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.