Fresh, citrusy, light and just bursting with flavour, these lemon and lavender scones just scream spring! Vegan, egg-free, and dairy-free, this is a great versatile, and super easy scone recipe that makes a great breakfast or afternoon tea. Pair with a nice cup of tea and relax.
Quick and Easy Lemon Lavender Scones
Get ready for your house to smell all kinds of amazing!
The smell that comes from the oven while these lemon lavender scones cook is nothing short of sensational.
They are so easy to bring together, requiring no resting time and no shaping.
Just mix everything together, drop rough balls of dough onto a baking sheet and get ready for a tasty treat.
A Note on Ingredients
These lemon scones are fresh, citrusy, light and just bursting with flavour.
They are also:
- egg free
- low in sugar
They don't require any fancy ingredients, but I do have some notes for you on the ingredients you do need.
I am fairly certain that this is the only recipe on my site that contains white sugar.
You could do without, but I found the scones were not sweet enough.
I have also tried just using coconut sugar, but I found the flavour to be too overpowering for the light flavours of lemon and lavender.
A mixture of a small amount of white sugar and coconut sugar worked best for me, but you do what works for you.
Dried lavender can be found in small packets of specialty cooking stores.
Make sure you buy a culinary grade, as not all lavender is for ingesting.
I only include a small amount of lavender in this recipe as it can be a bit of an acquired taste.
If you love the flavour of lavender, then by all means add more.
TIP: if you want to really drive through the lavender flavour, try adding one drop of food-grade lavender essential oil (check labels etc to make sure it is safe for consumption before using.)
Storage and Freezing Tips
Lavender scones can be eaten hot straight from the oven, or allowed to cool first before being enjoyed.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
These scones also freeze well.
Let the scones cool completely before freezing in a single layer on a baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer the scones to a re-sealable freezer bag or an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
How To Serve Homemade Lemon and Lavender Scones
You can eat these scones hot or cold depending on your preferences.
Some ideas for serving:
- with a nice spread of butter or vegan butter
- with a dollop of homemade lemon curd
- with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup
- with some whipped cream and jam or whipped cream and curd (my fav)
- drizzled with some homemade coconut butter
Find your favourite way to serve them up, pair with a nice cup of tea and you have the perfect afternoon tea.
Need More Lemon Recipes?
I just love cooking and baking with lemons, they add just a great hit of freshness and zinginess to any dish.
Try these recipes next:
- Gluten-Free Honey Pineapple Lavender Frozen Yogurt Bites
- Coconut and Lemon Cheesecake Fat Bomb
- Lemon Infused Chia Water
- Lemon Garlic Butter Chicken Bake
- Lemon and Garlic Air Fryer Broccoli
Lemon and Lavender Scones
- 2 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon white sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil softened
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 1 ¼ cup milk of choice plus more for brushing, I used coconut
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- coconut butter for serving
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with some parchment paper
- Add the flour, baking powder, sugars and salt to a large bowl and mix to combine. Add in the softened coconut oil and work through with fingertips until the mixture resembles sand
- Add the lavender and combine. Make a well in the middle of the mixture, add in the milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and stir to combine
- Pop ⅓ cup scoops of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, brush with some milk and sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top
- Pop into the oven and cook for about 14 mins, or until golden on the bottom
- Serve as is, or with a drizzle of coconut butter and some extra lemon zest on top
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was updated from the original March 2016 post to provide more information for the reader (and better photos).