One of the easiest ways to include chia seeds in your diet is to add them to your water, making chia water. This mixture makes a super refreshing drink, perfect for enjoying first thing in the morning, or pre or post-workout when you may need a little more hydration in your body. Make a batch of this lemon-infused chia water and sip throughout the day for a happy belly.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Lemon Infused Chia Water
You may have noticed the rise of the humble chia seeds over the past couple of years. From being spruiked all over Pinterest as being a great way to lose weight, to health journals declaring them the next best superfood, this little seed is certainly making a big name for itself.
I don't know about any of that...
What I do know is that chia seeds are super hydrating, filling, and make it easier to consume more water during the day if you are getting bored with regular old water.
They are also great at keeping you a little more regular, which is where they got the reputation of making awesome detox water.
Why Should I Include Chia Water In My Day To Day
I am not a medical doctor, dietician or nutritionist so I am not going to be listing any health benefits.
What I can tell you is that chia water:
- Makes a good hydrating drink. It is great for airplane travel when you can tend to become dehydrated very easily. Simply bring a little container of the seeds and add them to your water bottle once on the plane. It is also great pre and post-workout - take a bottle of chia water with you to the gym and you won't only be super hydrated, but you will get some great looks from people wondering what you are drinking.
- Is linked to giving you lots of energy without keeping you awake as sugar or caffeine would. It makes a great little natural energy drink
- Thanks to their soluble fiber content and water-absorbent shell, chia seeds are quite filling and can help keep you satisfied for longer, all while keeping you hydrated
- Looks super pretty with all the little floaty bits
- Is easy to throw together to sip throughout the day
Chia water is a super-easy way to include chia seeds in your diet.
One serving is reported to have:
- as much calcium as a glass of milk
- more Omega-3s than a serving of walnuts
- as many antioxidants as blueberries
- heaps of fiber, and therefore able to help with constipation.
What Is The Texture Of Chia Water Like?
Not quite like a smoothie and not quite like a glass of water.
When the chia seeds combine with the water and are allowed to rest for a while they absorb up to 10x their body weight in water and become gel-like. Think like a tomato seed when you remove it from a tomato.
On that note, if you are weird about textures then this isn't for you. If you don't like chia puddings or anything with a gel-like consistency then just back away now.
I don't want any gagging on my conscience.
My son and I love it, my 6-year-old acts like I have fed her a bowl of worms every time she tries it.
You have been warned.
Can I Add Less Chia Seeds?
Combining chia seeds with water makes it easier to swallow. As they are a gel-like consistency they will not get stuck in your throat like they would if you were eating them on their own.
This being said, some people who do not like the consistency of chia water do consume the seeds dry and just chase it down with lots of water.
There is no right or wrong way to make your chia water, so play around with the quantities depending on your flavor and texture preferences.
If you prefer it to be less gelatinous then lessen the number of chia seeds you put in there. Start with 1tsp and work your way up.
TIP: This does not work well with carbonated water or juice. The chia seeds float to the top and make a thick gel-like layer on the top of the drink which is kind of icky.
TIP 2: No you do not need to grind the chia seeds first.
Am I Going To Lose Weight If I Drink Chia Water?
There is no miracle drink that is going to make you lose weight.
Chia water is not some miracle weight-loss concoction like it is being spruiked all over Pinterest.
Having a wee glass of chia water in the morning is not going to give you a flat tummy with no further input from you.
Coupled with healthy eating and exercise, sure it might help you along. But, as is always the case, you have to do the work.
Ok How Easy Is Chia Water To Make?
I like to add lemon or lime juice to mine as it is anti-inflammatory and gives the water a great flavor without the need for sugar.
You can add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of honey or maple syrup if you want some sweetness in there too.
Coconut water works in place of filtered water if you prefer.
Chia water can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for the week. The seeds will clump so just give it a really good shake before drinking.
Where Can I Get Chia Seeds For My Chia Water?
As chia seeds have become more popular they have become really easy to find.
Need more Chia Seed Recipes?
Of course you do, there are so many of those little buggers in a bag of chia seeds. Lucky for you, I go through these things like smarties and have plenty of recipes for you:
- Bursting With Nuts Grain-Free Sugar-Free Granola
- Zesty Lemon and Vanilla Chia Pudding
- Maple Spiced Chia Overnight Oats
- Banana and Peach Butter Bread with A Chia Crunch
- Chia Oat Breakfast Squares
- Baked Chia Pumpkin Pie Donuts
- Whole Orange Chia Marmalade
If you want another chia based drink, then you need to check out this Lime Chia Fresca. It is similar to chia water, but more of a chia juice, as we are blending whole limes with some coconut water. So good.
Lemon Infused Chia Water
- Glass jar with lid
- Combine the water, chia, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a large glass with a lid.
- With the lid on tight, give the glass a really good shake to mix everything up and prevent the seeds from clumping. Pop into the fridge for at least 10-15 minutes.
- When you are ready, give the mixture a good shake again and drink immediately.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3