Fresh and zesty, this lemon and vanilla chia pudding is a quick and easy grab-n-go breakfast option which can be prepped ahead of time. It’s also great as an afternoon snack or a light and healthy dessert.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Oh my, I am so super excited to share this zesty lemon and vanilla chia pudding cups with you today. They are all kinds of delicious, and I am seriously hooked.
My First Experience With Chia Pudding. Hint: It Wasn’t Good
My first experience with chia pudding was not good at all. We had been traveling, and were set to have a super early flight the next morning. My kids (and myself), really are the type of people that need to be fed within 5 minutes of waking up, or there will be hell to pay. Hangry (hungry/angry for the uninitiated) is a real thing! Being the super prepared mum that I am (cough cough – I am slowing learning from bad experiences), I popped out to the shops the night before and picked up some food for the flight.
The main event was to be these little outrageously priced containers of pre-made chia pudding.
Big Mistake. They were gross.
My son spat his out within two seconds of me spooning it into his mouth, and this is someone who literally has eaten at least a dozen spiders and attempted one snail over his short time on this planet. The older one screwed her face up and refused a second spoonful.
Needless to say we won’t be buying those again.
Homemade Is Always Best
These little lemon and vanilla chia pudding cup’s are decidedly delicious.
They make a great make-ahead breakfast option. I love to whip up a big batch on a Sunday night and dole them into little mason jars (like these ones) to use as a grab-n-go breakfast option throughout the week.
You will need some lemon curd as it just takes this vanilla chia pudding over the edge and makes it irresistible. I have a great homemade lemon curd recipe here which uses honey instead of refined sugar to keep the ingredients nice and clean. I dare you not to eat it by the spoonful once it cools!
What Other Ingredients Do We Need For Lemon Vanilla Chia Puddings?
Not too much at all, we like to keep it fairly simple around here:
- milk (I used almond)
- chia seeds
- maple syrup
- nuts and seeds for toppings. Think walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or some homemade granola (I have a great coconut granola here that goes perfectly).
Fresh and zesty, this lemon and vanilla chia pudding is a quick and easy grab-n-go breakfast option which can be prepped ahead of time. It's also great as an afternoon snack or a light and healthy dessert.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain yoghurt
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- zest of one medium sized lemon
- juice of one medium sized lemon
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup more if you like it on the sweeter side
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or scraped vanilla beans if you are feeling fancy
- Homemade lemon curd chopped walnuts and unsweetened desiccated coconut for serving
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond milk, yoghurt, chia seeds, lemon zest and juice and the maple syrup. Whisk well to combine, ensuring there are no large clumps
- Transfer to serving dish of choice (stemless wine glasses or mason jars work well)
- Pop into the fridge and allow to sit for at least 15 mins. The longer it sits, the thicker it will get
- To serve, top with a large dollop of homemade lemon curd, a generous sprinkle of chopped walnuts and a pinch of coconut. Enjoy
Please please please make sure you top them off with some nuts and/or seeds as they really shine when they have a crunch.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it.
I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3
Try some other breakfast ideas:
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow Whole Food Bellies on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!