Celery juice has been all the rage for a while, with professionals boasting lots of health benefits. But let's put that aside and instead enjoy a nice celery smoothie full of all the good fibers celery has to offer. This smoothie contains a mix of celery, green apple, ginger, spinach, and lime to give it a real kick in flavor. Add some ice and give it a good shake before serving for a juice-like consistency with all the added goodness of the whole vegetable.
We love starting the day with a super green smoothie like this one and this Creamy Green Mango Avocado Smoothie.
Super Green Celery Smoothie
This celery smoothie is something completely different from what I normally share.
Less sweet, with a nice hit of zing from the ginger and lime, it really packs a punch when it comes to flavor.
You will need:
- spinach: I use baby spinach as you can simply toss it into the blender and be done with it. If you only have English spinach then go on ahead and use that, but remove the leaves from the stem, and just use the leaves. The stems tend to be a bit tough, and will lead to a less than smooth smoothie;
- coconut water;
- celery: separate the celery stalks and celery leaves before use (keep the stalks for the smoothie and the leaves for a Homemade Vegetable Stock From Scraps). You could also add chopped and frozen celery pieces if you have them on hand;
- green apple: you should remove the core prior to use;
- fresh ginger: remove all of the knobbled and gnarly bits before use;
- lime: I always have lots of frozen lime in the freezer, so that is what I use, but fresh lime works perfectly too;
- ice cubes.
I start by adding all of the ingredients except for the ice to a powerful blender and blending until smooth.
Once that is smooth then add in the ice and blend again.
The reason for this is that to get a smooth consistency with the harder ingredients like celery, apple, ginger, and lime, you are going to have to blend for a bit longer than usual, which means that the smoothie might get a bit on the warm side (yuck).
Adding the ice after everything is nice and smooth means you still get to enjoy a nice cold smoothie.
Tips For Making The Perfect Celery Smoothie
If you remember beforehand then freeze the apple (diced) and the lime (in wedges).
This will allow the smoothie to get cooler more quickly and require less ice to be added.
Which in turn leads it to be less watery.
If you want the celery smoothie to get completely smooth, without any bits at all (this is usually important for kids and those with textural issues), you can always strain through a nut milk bag, although I have never felt the need to do this.
Possible Additional Ingredients
I love this smoothie as is, with no added sugar, but you may want to make it a little sweeter or add something a little extra to change things up.
Why not consider adding these ingredients to your green smoothie recipe:
- pineapple chunks or pineapple juice
- lemon juice
- chia seeds
- maple syrup
If possible add the ingredients frozen to make for a colder smoothie.
Want It Sweeter? If you prefer your smoothie a little sweeter, or if you are serving to kids, you might want to add a little bit of orange juice or apple juice to the blend. This will also help it get smoother.
Do I Need To Peel The Apples?
There's so much nutrition in apple peel, there is no point in letting it go to waste.
You may want to use an apple corer to core the apple beforehand though, as you definitely don't want core in there.
Serve in a large glass or a mason jar with lots of ice to keep the smoothie extra cold.
This smoothie should be consumed straight away when made.
If you do like to make ahead of time for an easy grab-n-go healthy breakfast, then keep stored in a mason jar with a lid in the fridge, and remember to give it a really good shake before drinking.
Need More Healthy Smoothie Recipes?
Now that you have tried this celery smoothie recipe of course you need more smoothie love!
Smoothies are the perfect way to start the day!
Check these out:
- Cinnamon Apple Smoothie
- Blueberry Almond Milk Smoothie
- Pomegranate Kale and Coconut Smoothie
- Peaches and Green Power Smoothie
- Fennel Frond and Pineapple Smoothie
- Kale Pineapple Smoothie from Cook It Real Good
Super Green Celery Smoothie
- High speed blender
Clicking any equipment link above will earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 green apple cored
- ¼ inch piece of ginger
- 1 frozen lime
- 1 cup ice
- Add everything except the ice to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the ice and blend again until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Optional extra step: strain through a nut milk bag for a more juice like consistency
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.