Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup is a delicious dairy-free alternative to the classic broccoli cheddar soup, and it takes only 20 minutes from start to finish. A great vegan or vegetarian weeknight meal the whole family can enjoy. Use any nutmilk you desire to make this soup your own
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
I am always up for a bit of a challenge, so when a reader asked me for a dairy-free version of my super popular Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup, I just had to take them up on the offer.
So there's no cheese, we sub in some nutritional yeast for that.
For the milk and cream, we sub in some nut milk. I myself am partial to some homemade pistachio milk, but any other nut milk works here, cashew milk is super creamy too.
As for the traditionally used butter, I use some olive oil, but if you have a vegan butter that works really well also, it's just not something a lot of people have at home, and we want this recipe to be accessible to all.
That's a lot of subs, but bear with me, this is some seriously good vegan broccoli cheese soup.
Ok So How Do We Make This Dairy-Free Broccoli Soup?
Don't worry, it's super easy.
You are going to need:
- olive oil
- good quality vegetable broth
- broccoli (of course)
- nut milk of choice (find out how to make your own here)
- whole wheat flour (you can also use a gluten-free flour mix if you want to keep this gluten free)
- nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
I told you it was easy!
Is Nutritional Yeast A Must?
Now I mentioned above that we wanted to keep this accessible for all, and that made me think twice about the nutritional yeast. It's not something everyone will have on hand, but I definitely think it is worth grabbing some for this recipe.
- It really adds a cheesy flavour to a meal without the need for any actual cheese, without it, you just don't get that cheesiness this soup needs.
- It is also highly nutritious. It comes with a lot of added benefits such as protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- You won't just use it once and then forget about it - it makes a great addition to any meal where you want a cheesy flavour and works especially well with homemade popcorn.
You should be able to find it in the health food aisle of your local supermarket, or in the bulk buy bins at a health food store. Alternatively, you can always grab some from Amazon here:
If you don't want to use it, or can't find it, then that's fine. But change your expectations as this soup then becomes a cream of broccoli soup rather than a vegan broccoli cheese soup.
I just love to hear from you so if you try out this delicious Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup then make sure to let me know how it goes! Happy eating.
Oh and if you are in need of some more soup inspiration, then check these out:
- One Pot Tortellini and Creamy Garlic Soup
- Glowing Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup with Cheddar and Leek
- Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter alternative
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 3 cups good quality vegetable broth make your own here
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast plus more to serve
- 2 cups nut milk of choice make your own here
- 3 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter alternative
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil (or vegan butter) in medium sized pot. Sauté the onion and celery until tender. Add the broccoli and broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the nutritional yeast.
- Pour the broccoli and broth mixture into the blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Purée in batches until smooth and then pour into a clean pot. If you have a stick blender then you can just puree the soup right in the cooking pot
- In a small saucepan, over medium-heat add 3 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter alternative, stir in the flour and add the nut milk. Stir until thick and bubbly, and then pour into the soup mixture
- Season with salt and pepper and serve warm. Sprinkle on some more nutritional yeast as needed.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these:
- Marrakesh Carrot Salad
- Goat Cheese Broccoli Quinoa Casserole In The Instant Pot
- Clove and Cranberry Apple Sauce In The Instant Pot
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3