I never thought I would get this Banana Matcha Waffles recipe published today (or anytime soon for that matter), but then my lovely neighbor borrowed by non-napper for the afternoon and I suddenly had a couple hours of free time. Thanks Sue 🙂
Ok so you know that we just returned from a lovely trip to Canada last week. Of course, I bought a whole lot of Canadian maple syrup while over there (what else did you think I would be doing? other than eating all that ice cream I mentioned here), and I have been dying to whip up a fresh batch of waffles to try it out with. On returning from our trip, a big package of DōMatcha organic matcha had arrived, so I just had to make a pairing. And it is an especially delicious one.
I use 2 VERY ripe bananas in this recipe. The riper the better, as there is only a little bit of sweetener added, so we want sticky sweet bananas mashed in there to get the flavor going. My kids were super excited to be having some green waffles for breakfast, and Banana Matcha Waffles made such a nice change from our normal Friday morning waffles. Yes, Fridays are for waffles around here 🙂
If you haven’t tried matcha yet, then banana matcha waffles are the perfect gateway food. There is just a hint of matcha behind the rest of the banana waffles goodness, enough to have the flavor without being overwhelmed, and enough for the waffles to be green, which is just fun!
If you are seeing more matcha green tea recipes then check out these for some inspiration:
Let me know if you give them a go, or if you have a different way of enjoying your waffles in the morning. I would love to hear from you. Happy eating!
Banana Matcha Waffles
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp organic matcha powder I use DōMatcha
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup plus more for serving
- 2 large eggs beaten lightly
- 1 3/4 cup milk of choice I used coconut
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted. Plus extra for the waffle iron
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- Pre-heat the waffle iron
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, matcha powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Make a hole in the middle of the mixture and add in the maple syrup, beaten eggs, milk and melted butter. Mix gently to combine (do not overmix or the mixture will be gummy)
- Gently fold in the mashed bananas
- Coat the inside of the waffle-iron with melted butter (skip this step if you have one of those fancy non-stick versions), scoop enough batter into machine to make the waffles (this is going to vary from machine to machine), and cook until ready
- Serve up with some maple syrup, butter and chopped bananas (optional)