This Chocolate Pecan and Pomegranate Healthy Oatmeal Cookies Recipe is just perfect for the Holidays. Showcasing delicious dark chocolate, pecans and fresh pomegranate arils, they are refined sugar-free and packed full of flavor. Plus they are so easy the kids can help put them together with some adult supervision.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
I have been using these chocolate chips, and they are really delicious with pretty minimal ingredients. I was able to find them at Costco.
The reason for my baking? Well, it is Holiday season so baking is a must, BUT I have different motives. You see, it is bloody freezing around here! We are very lucky and have central heating, but my husband is so opposed to using it, that it is verging on the ridiculous.
How Chocolate, Pecan, and Pomegranate Healthy Oatmeal Cookies Saved Me From A Cold House
My hubby grew up with a mom that apparently did not let them put the heating on.
This was even when they were living in New Jersey...in snow season. Apparently, they were that silly Australian family wearing shorts out in the snow, and if they were cold at home, they just wore their snow jackets. I am not sure that I completely believe it, but this is how he tells me it went down.
Personally, I hate being cold. Don’t get me wrong, I have done my time. I spent years as a ‘broke uni student’, living in the dodgiest house in Tasmania (just ask my mom). We had big gaps under the door, rats living in the sunroom, and snowy gusts of wind coming down from the nearby mountain all winter.
There was no heating in the house, and no money for space heaters, so my housemate and I would spend all winter walking around with beanies, sweaters, and blankets attached to us. We would have a ridiculous amount of tea every day, mainly as a warming device, and on extra cold days, we would head to the local pub to hang out in front of the fire. Some of my happiest memories if truth be told.
So...oatmeal cookies. Healthy oatmeal cookies to be exact.
Dark Chocolate, Pecan, and Pomegranate Oatmeal Cookies. I have been waging a war against the low setting on the thermostat by baking lots of cookies and bread (which I have just realized probably just spurs on my husband's refusal to tamper with the temperature).
These little gems are studded with bursts of fresh pomegranate, gooey dark chocolate, and crunchy pecans. They are simple and delicious. Plus they offer a healthier alternative for all the store made cookies floating around at this time of the year.
Need More Homemade Sweets For Baking Season?
Check these out:
- Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies;
- Creamy White Chocolate Pistachio Truffles;
- Dark Chocolate, Matcha Coconut Truffles.
Chocolate, Pecan, and Pomegranate Healthy Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- Add the coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and egg to a large mixing bowl. Cream them together until as smooth as possible
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ½ tsp of sea salt
- Stir the flour mixture and the coconut oil/sugar mixture together until just combined. Add in the oats, chocolate chunks, pomegranate arils and pecans. Mix well
- Scoop tablespoon sized balls of the batter onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper (you should get about 16). Pop the tray with the cookies into the fridge/freezer for about 20 minutes. This will make them crispier when baked
- Whilst the cookies are in the freezer, pre-heat the oven to 350F
- Pop the cookies into the oven and bake the cookies for about 14 minutes, until they are just beginning to look golden
- Remove from the oven and let them sit on the baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy