Want the best thick and creamy strawberry milkshake recipe made with fresh strawberries and sweetened with honey? Well, you have come to the right place! This delicious homemade milkshake is quick and easy to make and packs a flavor punch that can't be beaten. The perfect drink for a summer arvo.
Strawberry Milkshake Recipe With Real Strawberries
This homemade milkshake has been on regular rotation at our house for the longest time, so it is only natural that I share it with you.
You will only need a handful of simple ingredients:
- fresh strawberries: you could also use frozen strawberries if that is what you have;
- ice cream: vanilla or strawberry ice cream works well for this strawberry milkshake, or you could always sub in dairy-free ice cream if needed;
- honey: Use local raw honey. If you are keeping this recipe vegan then you should use maple syrup instead;
- milk of choice: regular whole milk, unsweetened almond milk, or any other plant-based milk of choice will work;
- whipped cream: I use full-fat pure whipping cream, but feel free to use some chilled and whipped coconut cream if you prefer to keep this vegan or dairy-free.
Then of course there are all the optional extras.
Feel free to go as crazy or as simple as you want here.
Personally, I tend to add the whipped cream, some extra smashed strawberries, and a couple of sprinkles but if you want to go ALL OUT, or it's a special occasion, then you might want to consider these optional extras:
- marshmallows: you can use regular marshmallows or the sugar-free version that you can find these days;
- fancy sprinkles: like a mini donut and ice cream sprinkles, or you can also get sugar-free and dye-free sprinkles from places like Amazon;
- chocolate chips;
- caramel or chocolate sauce.
As always, you do you.
Want To Make This A Slightly Healthy Milkshake?
This strawberry milkshake can go either way.
It can be outrageously decorated and filled to the brim with all the toppings.
Or, if you choose your ingredients wisely, it can be relatively healthy.
Check the ingredients for added sugars if you want to keep this homemade milkshake on the healthier side of things.
Using fresh, in-season strawberries will mean less added sweetener is needed, and switching regular ice cream for a sugar-free version keeps the added sugar content down as well.
You could also try blending frozen strawberries into a 'nice cream' and use that in place of ice cream, along with a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract.
Use common sense, and make it fit in with your lifestyle choices.
Marshmallow Skewers: to make the marshmallow skewers thread a long marshmallow onto a wooden skewer. Use a little bit of whipped cream to glue the icing donuts and ice creams (or other decorations of choice) to the marshmallows.
How To Make A Fresh Strawberry Milkshake
Homemade milkshakes are super easy to make, but there are a few steps you should take to make the best milkshake.
- Add the strawberries to a small bowl and with the help of a muddler (or you can always improvise with another kitchen tool of that is not something you have), crush them to get the juice out. Remove 2 tablespoons of the crushed strawberries and reserve for topping.
- Using a high speed blender, place ice cream, honey, milk and crushed strawberries with the juice to the blender container.
- Blend on high until smooth and combined with a creamy texture.
- Pour the milkshakes into the serving glasses and top with whipped cream, rainbow sprinkles and crushed strawberries. Serve immediately.
Homemade milkshakes are best served cold, so serve straight away once it is ready.
If you prefer a thicker shake you can always add an extra scoop of ice cream or less milk.
If you prefer a thinner shake then add more milk of choice.
Serve the milkshake with wide straws so that the whipping cream does not get stuck.
Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
If it is not strawberry season, or your strawberries aren't very sweet, you can use frozen strawberries or a strawberry syrup like this one to ensure your milkshake is sweet enough.
Another way to make your strawberries extra sweet is by baking them (Easy Baked Strawberries), as this helps to extract all of the juicy goodness.
You may also want to try:
- adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract to make the vanilla flavor stronger;
- adding half ice cream and half ice cubes for less fat and sugar;
- adding some heavy cream to make the milkshake super thick and creamy;
- blend frozen strawberries into a 'nice cream' and use that in place of ice cream, along with a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract;
- add more scoops of vanilla ice cream or less milk for a thick milkshake.
The milkshake should be consumed straight away once it is made.
Storing leftovers in the fridge is not advised as the texture can turn depending on what version of ingredients are used.
Tip: if you do end up with leftovers, freeze them in popsicle molds for a creamy strawberry popsicle another day.
Want To Change Up The Milkshake Flavors?
Why not try using some raspberry ice cream and fresh raspberries instead of the strawberries.
Or, for something a little bit different, use some coconut ice cream and some sprinkles of desiccated coconut on top of the whipped cream.
Want To Make It Lower In Carbs/Calories?
Let's face it, sometimes we want the yum factor of a strawberry milkshake, but we don't want all the liquid calories or carbs that come with it.
You can easily sub out the ice cream for a lower carb/lower-calorie alternative like Halo Top or Skinny Cow, or you can add half the amount of ice cream and a nice big scoop of ice cubes.
Or you could make a homemade keto version of ice cream like this one from Wholesome Yum.
OR you could blend frozen strawberries into a 'nice cream', and use that in place of the ice cream.
You will want to skip the lollies too!
Shop This Post:
What To Serve With Your Strawberry Shake
Why not make it a 50's theme and serve up diner food with your shake.
Serve your creamy strawberry milkshakes in a tall glass with:
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burger;
- Vegan Roasted Cauliflower and Quinoa Burgers;
- Fries (traditional or veggie);
- A good sandwich like this Turkey Apple Panini from Cook What You Love;
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs from Food Banjo.
The Best Strawberry Milkshake Recipe Using Real Strawberries
- High speed blender
- 8 Fresh strawberries washed and cut into cubes
- 6 cups vanilla or strawberry ice cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 ½ cups milk of choice
- optional extras: whipping cream, sprinkles, marshmallows
- Add the strawberries to a small bowl and with the help of a muddler (or similar kitchen utensil), crush them to get the juice out. Remove 2 tablespoons and put aside for toppings.
- In a high-speed blender, add the ice cream, honey, milk, and strawberries with the juice.
- Blend on high until combined.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream, rainbow sprinkles, and the extra crushed strawberries. Optional extra: place the marshmallow skewers in each glass and serve immediately.
- Serve cold.
To Make The Marshmallow Skewers
- Place a marshmallow on each skewer. Use a little bit of whipped cream to glue the icing donuts and ice creams or other sprinkles of choice to the marshmallows.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Amy Liu Dong says
This is one of my favorite drinks to make. It is so easy and delicious!
My whole family loved these milkshakes---and they were a delicious way to cool off on a hot evening!!
Chris David says
Really nice recipe. Thanks for sharing. Also see https://www.beckandbulow.co
I'd like to plan a party around this milk shake. We loved the flavor and I love that it is made with fresh strawberries. Thanks for sharing.
refreshing and great breakfast drink, I use maple syrup as sweetener
The children loved this so much. I especially love the use of real strawberries in it. Thanks Donna for an amazing smoothie.
Just what the doctor ordered for today. I have a garden full of strawberries and this looks absolutely delicious! Thanks Donna for another delicious recipe.
Kayla DiMaggio says
This strawberry milkshake recipe was so delicious! I loved that it used real strawberries!
What a luscious and flavorful treat! Absolutely loved these shakes!
Sherry Ronning says
Growing up on a 100 acre Strawberry farm, we made strawberry shakes all the time. Thanks for the memories and the great shake recipe!!
Oh wow, that would have been amazing!!
Kathy Hester says
I love a milkshake!
The honey is the secret ingredient that puts this milkshake over the top good!
Mandy Applegate says
I've tried a few strawberry milkshake recipes and this is the best!
The PERFECT strawberry milkshake!!
So fresh and good.
Milkshakes are the best dessert!
Oh this is the best! So yummy and creamy!
Lynn Polito says
What a sweet treat! I love this recipe!