This Mushroom and Potato Soup is so thick, luxurious and full of flavor that even little bellies will be asking for more. Combining a hearty mixture of leeks, carrots, celery, potatoes, and mushrooms this soup just screams comfort and begs to be mopped up with a wedge of fresh crusty bread.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Creamy Irish Mushroom and Potato Soup
I am not one for hiding veggies from the kids.
If something is going to go into a dish they are going to know about it, and they are going to try it.
Except for mushrooms.
My kids will fight me tooth and nail if they know mushrooms are anywhere near what I am serving up for dinner.
Which is exactly why I blend my Mushroom and Potato Soup up to be nice and smooth and tell them it's "creamy bacon soup". And they believe me EVERY.SINGLE.TIME and eat 2 or 3 bowls each.
I don't even feel bad.
What Veggies Are Hiding In Mushroom and Potato Soup
We have a whole array of veggies jam-packed in here, including a hearty mixture of:
- and mushrooms.
No bacon in sight. But don't tell the kids!
This version is blended, but if you like your soups with a bit of texture them blend half and leave half as is. Give it a good stir and hey presto, you have a grown up version.
Substitutions and Variations To Make Mushroom and Potato Soup Work For Your Diet
This soup is pretty versatile and can be tweaked to fit a number of different diets:
- Gluten-free: simply sub the whole wheat flour for a gluten-free flour blend of choice.
- Dairy-free: Sub in dairy-free milk of choice for the heavy cream and milk. The consistency will be a bit thinner, but it will still be creamy once the potatoes are blended. Sub the butter for some coconut oil or olive oil.
- Vegan: as above sub the milk and heavy cream for non-dairy milk of choice. Sub the butter for some coconut oil or olive oil.
Can this be Meal Prepped ahead of time?
The whole thing can be made ahead of time and simply reheated when ready to serve.
Alternatively, the veggies can all be chopped ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a couple of days, until you are ready to serve up the soup.
Tried Mushroom and Potato Soup and Now Need Something Else To Try.
Well I just happen to be a massive soup fan so you are in luck. Check these out:
- Sarah's Tortellini Soup For The Soul
- Honey Roasted Garlic, Parsnip and Cauliflower Soup
- 6 Ingredient Healthy Celery Soup
- Cauliflower Soup with Carrot, Cumin and Lentils
If you try it out I want to hear ALL about it, so be sure to pop back and leave me a comment.
Irish Mushroom and Potato Soup
- 2 medium leeks, finely sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup milk (whole or low fat)
- In a Dutch oven, melt 3 tbsp of the butter. Sauté the leeks, carrots and celery for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the broth, potatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Once at a rolling boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking melt the rest of the butter in a large skillet. Add in the mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until they are getting a little bit caramelized.
- Stir the mushroom mixture into the potato mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cream and milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup, mixing to ensure no clumps. Bring to a boil once again and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- At this point you can serve as is if you like a chunky soup, or transfer to a blender in batches and blend until smooth. Enjoy
Looking for some more mushroom dishes made from scratch? Check out these amazing offerings:
- Feta and Mushrooms on Toast
- Mushroom and Herbed Ricotta Cannelloni
- Fancy Mushroom and Smashed Avocado Tacos
- Shiitake Mushroom Riced Cauliflower Risotto from Fearless Dining;
- Vegan Cheese and Tempeh Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms from Kiipfit;
- One Pot Bacon Mushroom Swiss Burger Pasta from My Kitchen Love.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3